The I-ACED Program is available for talented, low-income students pursuing the following professional Master’s degrees in these four universities:
|Jackson State University||Prairie View A&M University||Rice University||Texas Southern University|
|• Coastal Engineering|
• Computational Data- Enabled Science & Engineering
• Computer Science
|• Chemical Engineering|
• Civil & Environmental Engineering
• Computer Science
• Electrical & Computer Engineering
• Chemical Engineering
• Computational & Applied Mathematics
• Data Science
• Industrial Engineering
|• Computer Science|
• Environmental Toxicology
• Transportation Planning & Management
Applications to the I-ACED Program are competitive and needs-based. A limited number of awards are available for each university. Applicants should read the following information to confirm their eligibility before submitting the application.
SPRING 2024 Application Deadlines
- Jackson State University: Priority deadline October 15
- Prairie View A&M University: Priority deadline November 1
- Rice University: Priority deadline October 15
- Texas Southern University: Priority deadline November 1
NOTE: Please confirm deadlines with the department you are applying to. Early applications are recommended as this fellowship is competitive and limited in number.
Benefits to I-ACED Scholar Award Recipients
All I-ACED Scholar Awards benefit from attention to the small cohort of scholars supporting them in their career and professional goals. Each university may have additional support options available. Each I-ACED Scholar at the four institutions receives:
- Up to $10,000 in scholarship funds toward student’s education
- Career and educational development professional and social support by faculty mentors and student cohorts
- Ongoing scholar engagement activities during the academic year
- Guided in-person tour of U.S. Army Engineer Research & Development Center facilities (expenses covered)
- Coordinated internships or research experiences (locally or at the U.S. Army Engineer Research & Development Center)
NOTE: At Rice University, two types of I-ACED Awards are available: Full and Partial. A limited number of both Awards are available. The Full I-ACED Scholar Award comes with a Full tuition waiver for the Master’s program of choice at Rice University. The Partial I-ACED Scholar Award does not include the tuition waiver but does include up to $10,000 in scholarship funds, all of the career and cohort support, and the trip to the U.S. Army Engineer Research & Development Center. Both Awards are competitive based on your prior educational experiences, overall alignment with the program goals (defined by your essays), your GPA, and the information in your FAFSA.
To be eligible for an I-ACED Award, applicants must satisfy the following criteria:
- Be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident, U.S. national, or an admitted refugee at the time of the application
- Have demonstrated academic potential, defined as being accepted for admission to one of the I-ACED Master’s degree programs (you may concurrently apply for I-ACED while also applying for your graduate program)
- Have demonstrated unmet financial need as defined by the individual university that you are applying for (defined by the information in your FAFSA at each university)
- Be enrolled in at least six hours of coursework toward an I-ACED Master’s degree (At Rice, students may not be part-time and must be enrolled in at least nine hours of coursework per Fall/Spring semester).
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®) HERE.
- Complete the initial application located HERE. You will be asked about your basic biographical information, current and future schooling plans, two essay questions on why you decided to pursue the Master’s degree, your interest in the technical track chosen, and how you anticipate benefitting from the program. You will be also asked for a current resume and unofficial transcript and authorization for the I-ACED staff to receive information from the financial aid offices regarding their financial need.
- View the recorded program webinar below
NOTE: a) each university has a limited number of I-ACED Awards available, and b) Rice University offers both full and partial tuition waiver awards. a) and b) are not explicitly mentioned in the webinar. Please check with your university regarding their specific I-ACED Award.
- Eligible candidates will receive a follow-up application via email with the application status. All decisions by the I-ACED committee are final.